Sunday, April 18, 2010

Independent Reading

A large focus of my instruction is finding ways to instruct, encourage, and support students’ daily independent reading. I start the year by giving students strategies for finding “just right “ books. These are books that students are interested in reading independently with still a little challenge. We visit the LMC weekly for the purpose of finding just right books. I also find ways to expose students to a wide variety of reading and try to focus on at least one genre each month. Each month, there is a different project to complete as a way to share what we have learned from our daily independent reading. I set short and long term deadlines for completing projects and encourage student feedback in guiding these projects. Students have choices in the projects they complete that involve a variety of medium and technologies. Once student projects are completed, we often spend class time sharing student work and display projects in the classroom and hallways. So far this year, we have read fiction books in a series, nonfiction animal books, biography, historical fiction, folktales and poetry as part of guiding students through their daily independent reading practices.

Now I am asking for your suggestions and feedback. With the summer closely approaching, I encourage everyone to find a way to fit reading into their busy summer schedules. Many students will have a slight drop in their reading level in the fall mostly due to not being in school and reading on a consistent basis. In the past, I have encouraged and tried different methods for motivating students to read over the summer. I would like to know what ideas you have for reading over the summer! Perhaps there are suggestions or ideas that I can assist with or support to make summer reading fun and enjoyable. Please send me all your wonderful ideas so that we can all discuss and share how to continue our fun in reading all year long!!

No comments: